[Soc-coordination] Update: provisional number of slots is *still* 10

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Tue Apr 15 09:02:19 UTC 2008

On 14/04/08 at 23:10 -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > On 14/04/08 at 02:51 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > >  + Good design (no NIH, uses available resources, clean design)
> > >  + Clear set of fine grained tasks
> > >  + Estimation of time required for tasks
> > >  + time line and milestones
> >
> > Applicants are students, sometimes quite young. They are not
> > engineers. You can't expect them to provide a perfect design at this
> > stage, especially if the student isn't a Debian developer yet.
>
> Absolutely, but that's one of the reasons why we should make the
> decision metrics public, so that they're aware of the kind of things
> that real engineers and developers are expecting.

I don't think that a real engineer would expect this from a 20-years old
student who doesn't know much about Debian or free software development.
Or maybe I'm just biaised, and french students of this age are much
worse than those of other countries ;)

> A perfect application would have all of these things, and while
> requiring perfection is unreasonable, we should reward students which
> come closest to acheiving it.

But then you risk receiving apps that concentrate on this part, while
it's probably the less useful part, since the general design/planning
will be done mostly by the mentor.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |