[Soc-coordination] Update: provisional number of slots is *still* 10

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Tue Apr 15 09:25:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> That would favour students who are in their later years of
> engineering (or similar) studies. I'm not sure that's reasonable.

More importantly, it's favoring the students who are more likely to
complete their project successfully (and usefully), because they have
thought through what is required and have a base of knowledge
necessary to complete it. It likely also favors advanced students as a
side effect, but there's nothing really wrong with that. Students who
don't make the final cut should be encouraged to try again next year,
ideally with evaluations by mentors indicating precisely what the
weaknesses in their proposal were.

Don Armstrong