[Soc-coordination] Update: provisional number of slots is *still* 10

Manoj Srivastava srivasta at acm.org
Tue Apr 15 12:23:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 02:35:33 -0700, Don Armstrong <don at donarmstrong.com> said:

> It really depends on the student. To clarify, I'm not saying that
> someone who didn't fulfill all of these criteria completely shouldn't
> have their proposals accepted (and I don't think Manoj is either, but
> he'll pipe up if he is). What I am saying is the proposals which do
> deal with these (and the other listed) aspects are the stronger ones,
> and the ones which are most likely to succeed, if for no other reason
> than the mentee has confronted the problem and is interested enough in
> it to scratch away at it in detail.

        For the record, I agree with Don.

        A factor we should also consider is the educational effect of
 having these criteria published; it gives the students a hint about
 what does constitute a good proposal in the professional engineering
 world. No one expects perfection, but we can start guiding prospective
 students even before they turn in a proposal.

        manoj
--
"If we do not find anything very pleasant, at least we shall find
something new." - Voltaire