[Soc-coordination] Status update for Debian in SoC 2008

Erich Schubert erich at debian.org
Tue Apr 15 23:53:07 UTC 2008

Hello Charles,
> I scored all the proposals for which ownership is requested, excepted
> for the case of two similar proposals: in that case, I ranked only the
> one that I thought the most convincing.

IMHO, you should have ranked all of them.
Since project with a mentor assigned are the first group, projects with
mentorship requested, projects without mentors last we can easily use
this to separate the 'most promising' from the duplicates: we just only
assign a mentor to the top ranked project of each topic.

Right now, if we had to remove a project because the student is accepted
by a different organization, the second-best project will not have your
points.

Additionally, if let's say there are two mentors, A and B doing it the
same way as you do.
Project 1: A +4, B +4, C-2 = 6
Project 2: A  0, B  0, C+4 = 4  (instead of A +3, B +3 = total 10)
would make project 2 last, although it received a strong vote against by
C. Let's say A and B both would have given 3 points to project 2, then
it would have made the list because of the additional support by C,
despite being just the "second best" for A and B.

So IMHO you should assign points to each of the projects, and leave it
to the actual mentor to pick which one we're going to accept in the end.

Not that it matters too much - I don't see any particular case where it
really would make a difference, I figure usually most of us agree on
which of the proposals for a specific subject is best.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
       To be trusted is a greater complement than to be loved.       //\