[Soc-coordination] Updates, finals and reports, oh my! [debexpo]

Christoph Haas email at christoph-haas.de
Sat Aug 9 22:57:11 UTC 2008

Hi, Neil...

On Sonntag, 10. August 2008, Neil McGovern wrote:
> So we don't have any unpleasant surprises, please give us a status
> update *NOW*. I'll send out more info about the reports and evaluations
> at the end.

We are not looking as good as I expected. The second half (since the
mid-term) was a bit "challenging". My student assured me that we can make
the deadline but I see hardly any commits unless I push him to do so. The
software isn't in a bad shape really. All the basic features are working.
And he says that he doesn't have technical trouble that I could help with.
But we should be further in our own timeline
(http://debexpo.workaround.org/trac/roadmap). Hardly anyone has seen a
beta version yet and there is no decent documentation.

The student assured me that he intends to continue working on the software
after the GSoC. But with the current amount of work done I won't find it
easy to press the "give him $2000" button in a week or two. I hope the
next days will prove me wrong. We are far away from the 20 hours/week or
40 hours/week though as discussed on the google mailing list. I'm not sure
what else to do to help him.

Wish I had better news. In any case I feel competent to bring the software
into a proper shape alone if needed. So all is not lost. I just fear the
final evaluation. :(

Cheers
 Christoph
--
When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.