[Soc-coordination] Updates, finals and reports, oh my!

Dustin Rayner dustin.rayner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:37:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Robert Lemmen <robertle at semistable.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 11:08:55PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > So we don't have any unpleasant surprises, please give us a status
> > update *NOW*. I'll send out more info about the reports and evaluations
> > at the end.

I apologize for the delay, my first reply did not go to the list (oops)!

Unfortunately, much the same story can be told of the Jigdo-Ivory project as
debexpo.  Steve has done 100% of what is needed thus far as a mentor.  We
called a little bit of an audible on my judgment with the attempt to
incorporate Java applets to improve the performance of the project at
mid-term.

Unfortunately, it took me two weeks to learn what I felt was necessary to
get it working properly, and I was out for a week ill.  Long story short,
Mozilla has revamped their Java support between version 2 and 3 and I have
been unable to produce the results I expected.  I continue to try and
salvage the work done with Java, and provide a client with adequate
performance.

This is not a surrender by any means, there will be several hours of extra
time put into this project to see it through to the deadline.  However, if I
am unable to produce what is acceptable I am in agreement that it's not
worthy of the "give me $2000" button.  Once again, I have not given up, but
my report needs to be honest and straightforward, no matter what the nature
of the news.

The good news is that I intend to keep working with this project long after
summer of code is finished, and after the dust settles with Firefox 3, I
should be able to get Java and JavaScript communicating much better.  At
that point my work will be worth it, I anticipate a good browser based Jigdo
app in the future, I just hope that it is before the deadline.

Thanks for all the support and patience,
Dustin

(I should be meeting with a friend in the next day or so that has more
experience working with applets, hopefully it can get straightened out.)