[Soc-coordination] One month in [status for "debexpo"]

Christoph Haas haas at debian.org
Thu Jun 26 10:36:11 UTC 2008

Hi, Neil...

On Donnerstag, 26. Juni 2008, Neil McGovern wrote:
> It's now exactly one month since students began coding for their GSoC
> projects, and it's time to start thinking about mid-term evaluations.

I read that the midterm evaluations will be accepted from Monday, 7 July.
Does that mean we should send them already?

> We're (the admin team) are being a little worried that we've not heared
> much recently, so please re-assure us that everything's going OK with a
> quick mail about how your student (or your mentor if you're a student
> and are reading this!) is getting on. We really need to know any
> problems, issues and progress sooner rather than later!

We (Jonny Lamb - project "debexpo") are still alive and Jonny is making
great progress. There's no doubt he will get things done in good shape and
right on time. The software isn't complete yet of course but it can be run
already to provide a simple Debian package repository (which is
what "debexpo" is about). In the next days he intends to post to Planet
Debian and to our debexpo-devel mailing list on how to use the software
for uploading packages and providing personal package repositories. I'm
glad that we can show something already. Although the functionality will
of course be extended a lot until the end of the project. But several
people showed interest in the software already and we hope to get more
beta testers, opinions and suggestions.

> As this may not affect the mentors too much, I will be telling the
> students your home address if you don't do the evaluations, and will be
> letting natural justice take it's toll :)

Eeeeek! Oh, well. Jonny is invited to come over here. Since the beginning
of the stupid soccer europe tournament this has become a war area anyway.

> * Please send us your short fortnightly report if you haven't done so
>   already as soon as possible

In one of my last emails to this list I sent pointers to our Trac and our
mailing lists that we created for the project. Is that sufficient? Or
would you like a short report sent to this list for every project
nonetheless? I don't mind crafting one. (crontab -e...
~/bin/fake-gsoc-report.py...)

Cheers
 Christoph
--