[Soc-coordination] GSoC project proposal smartcard support for Debian Installer

Wouter Verhelst w at uter.be
Tue Mar 25 08:02:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 07:47:10PM +0530, subin surendren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a student doing my undergraduate engineering course in
> Information Technology at MES College of Engineering, Kuttipuram in
> India and i would like to participate in Google Summer code. i found that
> Debian is a mentoring organisation and have given lot of ideas which can
> be done as projects as part of Google SoC 2008.
>
> In the list of ideas there is one profile "smartcard support for
> Debian Installer".
> Please  refer to the link
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2008/smartcard
>
> I have also done such a project (smart card support for security
> systems (Ospite) in java )industrially
> so i believe that i can complete the project successfully as part of
> GSoc 2008.  i would like to do the project under the guidance of a
> mentor.

I think I could mentor that, having had experience with both d-i and
smartcards under Debian.

However, it would appear that either the page is no longer there, or it
was changed into PamNssDebianInstaller. If the former is true, and you
still think it's an interesting project, could you summarize what it is
about? If the latter is true (and the point about smartcard stuff was
not about setting up smartcard auth for PAM, but something entirely
different), do you think you can do it?

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22