[Soc-coordination] GSOC idea for next year: undusting some packages

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Wed Oct 1 05:10:49 UTC 2008

Maybe this blog post of mine, as of today, should be posted here:

Maintaining our key packages

Has anyone noticed how loosely APT is maintained since about...several years?

Michael Vogt is currently the person doing uploads and work but, being
committed to other things (IIRC in Ubuntu...or in real life), he
certainly can't devote enough time for this.

Otavio Salvador helped from time to time, either merging patches or
doing some uploads.

Daniel Burrows contributed in some bugs, as he's obviously directly
interested in APT, being the maintainer of aptitude.

And I'm doing l10n maintenance... That's *all*.

So, I don't fear saying that one of our key tools is badly maintained
and not in the best shape it could be. I wish that some really good
and experienced Debian developers get interested in it and, maybe,
mentor some non DD's currently in the NM queue, instead of folks
beiong encouraged to ITP any piece of crap they can find on
sourceforge (sometimes, ITPs look like this to me).

Think about it if you are an experienced C/C++ programmer.

Another idea could be to devote some GSOC slots, next year, to bug
triaging/fixing in such packages. Summer 2009 could be a good
opportunity as Lenny is probably released by then and we'll be quite
far from squeeze freeze, so heavily changing key package can be done.