[Soc-coordination] SoC: Final summarys for a press release, please!

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Oct 2 02:41:30 UTC 2008

On 30 September 2008 at 12:37, Erich Schubert wrote:
| We'd like to prepare a press release about the Summer of Code results.
| This would give both your actual project and the Debian participation
| in the Summer of Code some extra exposure.
|
| I'd ask you to write a few sentences about your project and what you
| achieved during the summer of code. Not too much - ideally we would get
| such a summary from all 11 projects - but just a few sentences for those
| who were not involved. Both the student or the mentor can do that.

Charles Blundell created cran2deb, a set of programs that provide an stateful
automated procedure to turn R source packages from the CRAN mirror archive
network into Debian packages.  At present, the system builds around 1400 of
the (currently roughly) 1500 available packages for both i386 and amd64.  We
expect to have an apt-get archive relatively 'soon'.

Dirk (mentor)