[Soc-coordination] GSOC idea for next year: undusting some packages

Michael Vogt mvo at debian.org
Thu Oct 2 17:16:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 07:10:49AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Has anyone noticed how loosely APT is maintained since about...several years?
[..]

I already answered to this thread briefly but I think it does need a
longer response (expecially since you explicitely mentioned me).

Here is a brief list of the feature that we (as a team) got between
etch and lenny (in no particular order) in apt:
* many i18n improvements
* lzma support
* sha256 verification for Packages/Release file
* more robust signature handling on network failures/bad proxies
* dpkg breaks field suport
* autoremove: automatic dependency handling (from aptitude) in libapt so that
  synaptic and update-manager and friends benefit
* hooks for apt::update::{pre,post}-invoke
* translated package descriptions (ddtp)
* terminal log in /var/log/apt/term.log for easier debugging/auditing
* recommends by default
* task install support via "apt-get install taskname^"
* https support
* bugfixes, stuff that I forgot

I agree that we need more people and especially more bug triage (a bug
squashing party maybe?).

But I also think that we should be proud of what we have done!

Cheers,
 Michael