[Soc-coordination] Mentor Summit

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Tue Sep 16 01:51:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:59:26AM +0100, Steve McIntyre <steve at einval.com> was heard to say:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 06:35:22PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> >
> >On 13 September 2008 at 23:26, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> >| So, AFAICS we have a few of this year's mentors who'd like to go:
> >|
> >|  * Me (Europe)
> >|  * Fabio Tranchitella (Europe)
> >|  * Dirk Eddelbuettel, US (but may go with R) - any news there?
> >
> >Yup, if I go, I'll go on the R ticket, so that would give Daniel for our US
> >spot.
>
> OK, thanks - that makes life easier for us. :-)
>
> >|  * Daniel Burrows, US
>
> If nobody else speaks up in the next few days, then Daniel is our
> choice from the US. Daniel, it's probably worth you investigating
> flights / other travel now anyway. OK?

  OK.  Wow, I wasn't expecting to be the only US person on the list!

  I have to confess something: I said "yes" because it sounds interesting,
but I can't read that link explaining the details because I'm not part of
the Google group.  I sent in a request to join the group on the assumption
it would be OKed in short order, but after a week it still hasn't been
approved.  In other words: I have almost no idea what to expect or what
sort of preparation I should do (other than buying a new laptop drive
so I have a portable again :-) ).

  All I have right now is the Google SoC FAQ entry:

    Mentor Summit at Google:  Representatives from each successfully
    participating organization are invited to Google to greet,
    collaborate and code. Our mission for the weekend: make the program
    even better, have fun and make new friends.

  Sounds great, but I bet there's more I need to know.  Can anyone send
me a copy of the summit announcement in private email?

   Thanks,
  Daniel