[Soc-coordination] Aptitude GTK Remote Host Management Proposal

Marc Brockschmidt marc at marcbrockschmidt.de
Thu Apr 2 06:58:20 UTC 2009

Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> writes:
[remote apt]
>   I think a more pragmatic, albeit also uglier, approach is to simply
> lock the package database and cache on the remote side, then *copy* all
> the apt state structures over the network, copying them back when you're
> done (of course, you can use rsync for this instead).

While I have no idea about aptitudes internals, I wonder if it would be
possible to, well, merge these two extremes (of doing RPC for everything
aptitude does and simply copying all data) - with a bit of
magic. If you ensure that you have the same Packages files on both
hosts, you can do most of the work locally and just need the remote data
to find out what's actually installed, which (I would guess, at least)
greatly reduce the amount of data you would need to copy.

On the other hand, I am missing some information how things like
conffiles changes and debconf prompts should be handled. Amir, have you
thought about this problem?

Marc
--
BOFH #307: