[Soc-coordination] Applications closed, what's next ?

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Sun Apr 5 19:36:04 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I believe we had a great recruitment drive this year and we have a very
good set of proposals to work with. We'd like to thank everyone involved
for their help.

Now that all the applications are in, we need to sort our proposals. To
do this, I'm proposing the following break-down of proposals into 5
categories:
* Score > 1: We'd like to have it funded by Google.
* Score == 1: Should be ok but needs more information to really go ahead.
* Score == 0: Needs more reviewing or information to decide anything.
* Score == -1: On hold until issues in comments are fixed.
* Score < -1: We won't do it. Period.

Here's a tentative schedule of the next week and so. Feel free to reply
if you have a different idea.

We'll try to get a shortlist of projects (not students, only the project
ideas) ready by Tuesday 7th or sooner and have it posted on debian-devel
for vetoing purposes, just in case someone has, for example, been
secretively developing the exact same thing.. and to get mentors where
needed.

We'll simultaneously privately notify students if they are either
"shortlisted", "waitlisted" (same project, different student
shortlisted) or "rejected". We try to be as open as possible with
students about where they are.

From LH's announcement to mentors list:
> We'll try to publish a *preliminary* list of slot counts on Thursday,
> April [9th]. These numbers are preliminary only and subject to change
> until we tell you "these are the final slot allocations."

We'll have another round of ranking adjustments after Thursday, based on
reactions from debian-devel and the preliminary Google slots count.

Before the 12th, we'd like all projects to be clearly ranked and mentors
matched up. In case of difficulties, we'll have an IRC meeting to
bicker^W discuss them.

In any case, come join us on IRC: #debian-soc on irc.debian.org
Mentors, come also on #debian-soc-mentors (ask for key on #debian-soc).

Good luck to everyone involved.

Arthur

--
Obey Arthur Liu