[Soc-coordination] On mentoring aptitude

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Mon Apr 6 04:16:56 UTC 2009

  Hi all,

  It was brought to my attention today that I may have given a wrong
impression regarding the various aptitude-related projects.  I'd like to
correct it now.

  I am *perfectly happy* to have other people mentor projects related to
aptitude.  When I say things like "I can't mentor this, so it probably
won't happen..." that's based on my belief that we probably won't be
able to find anyone else who is interested in working as a mentor on
that project.  I'd be ecstatic if all the good proposals we got this
year were actually implemented!  It's just that I don't feel comfortable
committing to more than one student myself, and given how neglected the
apt infrastructure has been in the past, I'm not very optimistic about
finding anyone else to help out.

  If you are a good C++ coder and know the apt API (to the extent that
it matters; some of the proposals don't even require much apt
knowledge), please feel free to sign on as a mentor on one of these
projects.  And of course I'm happy to offer as much assistance as I can,
within my own time constraints.

    Cheers,
  Daniel