[Soc-coordination] KDE/Qt Package Manager (Re: Google Summer of Code 2009: Debian's Shortlist)

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Sun Apr 12 08:50:04 UTC 2009

Fathi Boudra a écrit :
>>> I have no issue with Adept, and I would love to see a good Qt/KDE
>>> package manager, but if we're to get KPackageKit, I'd like to be sure
>>> that we won't sponsor yet another APT front-end that won't be used.
>
> Still, it remains the aptitude-qt solution.
> But it seems aptitude code is tighten with the gtk backend and extending it to
> add the qt backend cannot be done now.
>
> Does it make sense to finish Adept3 when it can(should?) be superseeded later
> by aptitude ?

aptitude-qt would not be possible before squeeze. That would leave us
with no usable Qt4 package manager.

> Why not finish aptitude-gtk separation then properly add qt pieces ?

Another strategy is to replace the adept/ept backend of adept 3.0 with
the aptitude backend once it is transformed into a library. It seems to
have become some sort of habit for aptitude to explore new features
before having them ported back to the common apt code.

Cheers

Arthur

--
Obey Arthur Liu