[Soc-coordination] Google Summer of Code 2009: Debian's Shortlist

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Tue Apr 14 09:10:54 UTC 2009

[ I've removed -devel on purpose in my previous post, because I
  believe the discussion belongs here. ]

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:10:42AM +0200, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> > I thought the same, and the thread which developed from this objection
> > is kind of a proof of the fact that there is no consensus, IMO.
> Note that you could also use that argument for the other side.. :)

Well, no, not really. One of the two choices is controversial and make
people feel unease, while the other does not.

> Everyone is perfectly fine with discussing this issue, as long as it
> remains civil and it happens outside of the GSoC period when students
> are scrutinizing us. Bringing dunc-tank et al. up is certainly not a
> good way to to attract fresh blood to our project.

My posts have remained civil and I did not use the dunc-tank argument,
so please does not use that argument with me ;-) I do care about
attracting new people and that's exactly why I believe we should
refrain from having active developers or contributors as
students. Anyhow ...

> I hope we can have a fruitful discussion about this in, say,
> november-december and come to a guideline everyone can agree
> with. In the meantime, we're choosing option (3) in Lucas' mail:
> compromise.

Fair enough. As I said since the beginning in this thread, I don't
want to ruin an organization on which you worked, relying on a
particular assignment. So I'm fine with the compromise for this year
(FWIW, does Philipp agree with that?). But sure, we should discuss
this and reach a decision, to be mentioned on next year SOC page, in
more quiet times. Do you volunteer to remind us all about this pending
discussion in due time? Otherwise I will take a note about doing that
..., please let me know.

> Also, only 45 DD/DMs signed up to review, discuss and score
> proposals, converging to our current shortlist. This number could be
> higher and I hope more DDs will be interested in reviewing or
> mentoring in the future.

I find that number perfectly reasonable. It is more than 10% of
"active" DDs. In Debian we cannot do everything all together, and that
number is fully respectable.

Cheers.