[Soc-coordination] Status update for the Eucalyptus project, week 6 / update 3

David Wendt JR. dcrkid at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 4 21:18:31 UTC 2009

Hello again. David here. Got another, admittedly smaller update to the Eucalyptus integration project status.

Current status: VMbuilder has support for Etch and Lenny in my source tree [0]. Again I'm using that as the main link right now; it has all the debian packaging niceties and such which Stephen helped me get all nice and proper. The EC2 support is mostly coded but not tested yet. Reason being is that I'm waiting on the Eucalyptus 1.5.2 release to come out, which I have on good authority will be here very very shortly.

So... Next two weeks will involve:

1. Getting the EC2 support polished and usable. Again, this is dependant on Euca shipping on time, so if that doesn't happen this will be deferred back a bit.
2. Look into the current status on refactoring the Eucalyptus javadeps package. I'll end up having to divert my efforts into this part if Euca doesn't ship on time. A bit of background info: Eucalyptus has about 20 or 30 java dependances that Debian and Ubuntu don't have, and for brevity's sake they bundled them up into a giant binary package so they could ship on time. If we ever hope to have Eucalyptus included in a Debian release, and that's one of the two goals of the project so the previous part of this sentence is moot, I need to focus on this part
3. Write up some slides for Debconf. I won't be going, but it's required anyway. I plan to cover a general overview of the project, and a bunch of Vmbuilder specifics. Not sure how I'd manage to do screenshots, considering vmbuilder is textbased. Will have to get creative...

[0] git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-escience/vmbuilder.git - as usual: Same deb time, same deb channel.