[Soc-coordination] kFreeBSD progress report week 10

Luca Favatella slackydeb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:14:44 UTC 2009

In the past two weeks I got network configuration and udeb download
working in the GNU/kFreeBSD debian-installer (d-i) port.
I also started working on disk partitioning.

Network configuration is working, even if with some short term
solutions, i.e. using
* "ifconfig" and "route" from freebsd-net-tools-udeb instead of "ip"
from BusyBox
 + the patch to create the freebsd-net-tools-udeb is at [0.0]
* ISC DHCP client instead of BusyBox udhcpc
 + substituting dhclient-script.udeb with that from [0.1] is needed
Thanks to my mentor (Aurelien Jarno) and to Julián Moreno Patiño.

My mentor also solved issues on
* BusyBox syslogd
 + understanding why it was not working on GNU/kFreeBSD [1.0]
* netcfg
 + filtering loopback interfaces [1.1]
 + fixing the multiple detection of network interfaces [1.2]
* adding netboot d-i configuration files [1.3]

About disk partitioning, I started porting GNU Parted.
I initially had some problems with its build environment.
I refreshed the previous kfreebsd-gnu patch in the Debian package
[2.0], splitting and updating it [2.1].
I started to merge this work "upstream" [2.2] [2.3].
Following instructions at [2.4], parted builds.
It segfaults when executed; if you want to test/debug it, you find the
debs at [2.5] [2.6] [2.7] [2.8]

I also worked on
* doc
 + HOWTO build BusyBox package on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD [3.0]
 + HOWTO build debian-installer monolithic mini.iso on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD [3.1]
* merging some patches to d-i trunk
 + committing already proposed patches
  - generalize rootskel splitting Linux specific stuff [3.2]
 + proposing and committing new patches
  - rootskel: add GNU/kFreeBSD inittab [3.3]
  - rootskel: add GNU/kFreeBSD fstab and init [3.4]
  - rootskel: add GNU/kFreeBSD detect-console [3.5]
  - netcfg: generalize loopback network interface name [3.6]

I have not been able to build iso images due to a misconfiguration on
ftp.debian.org; I will provide them when the problem is fixed.

In the next two weeks I should get disk partitioning working.

If possible, I should also work on
* BusyBox
 + understanding if [4.0] fixes some known problems or is unuseful
(this task is inherited from the previous progress report [4.1])
* makefs Debian package [4.2] (thanks to Thorsten Glaser)
 + testing it
 + trying to use it to create ufs2 initrd as normal user in [4.3]

Luca Favatella

[0.0] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/d-i/people/slackydeb/kfreebsd/d-i/freebsd-net-tools-udeb.diff
[0.1] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/d-i/people/slackydeb/kfreebsd/d-i/dhclient-script.udeb

[1.0] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/d-i?view=rev&revision=59407