[Soc-coordination] EC2/eucalyptus project update (week2)

David Wendt JR. dcrkid at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 06:07:11 UTC 2009

Hello. David Wendt here, with a status update.

During "Community Bonding" aside from freaking out about finals (which I ended up failing) I had a chance to read up on the licensing for the Amazon-provided 'ec2-tools', which has an onerous usage restriction preventing us from packaging them. Work to write a replacement script is ongoing.

Eucalyptus has a bunch of Java dependancies that Debian/Ubuntu doesn't package yet; so in the interest of shipping on time Eucalyptus packed up a bunch of their Java dependancies into a giant eucalyptus-javadeps package. It's monolithic, and I have it on good authority that it can't build from source. So there's an ongoing effort to refactor the package into individual packages by the Ubuntu people as described here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RefactorEucalyptusJavadepsSpec
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EucalyptusInMainSpec

I've gotten in contact with one of the Ubuntu developers and we are coordinating our work so that both Debian and Ubuntu get these dependancies sorted out properly.

Another piece of the project is the ubuntu-vm-builder; I've grabbed a copy from the upstream (which afaik is just launchpad: https://launchpad.net/vmbuilder ) and started a git repo at git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-escience/vmbuilder.git for all to peruse. There's not much to see right now, I'll strive for daily commits starting Monday.

The developers themselves seem to have planned to support multiple distros, there's a generic VMBuilder.distro class for representing the behaviors unique to individual Debianesques and versions. All you have to do to add support for a new distribution is to create a new plugin folder, and populate it with the prerequisite classes and folders. You can also make a new frontend ('debian-vm-builder', anyone?) if you like.

So I'll be spending the next week or two writing up VMBuilder classes for Debian releases, so vmbuilder can make Debian images in all supported formats. Such patches should be easily sent back to upstream for inclusion in Ubuntu as well. From there we can produce Debian AMIs and stuff.

I don't have any shiny .debs to hand out, sadly. You can follow my progress via the git archive as I write the Debian integration classes, as a consolation prize.