[Soc-coordination] Mylyn interface for debbugs, as a GSOC ?

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Fri Mar 13 07:39:30 UTC 2009

Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:42:49PM +0100, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
>> What interests me here is the intersection of this work with the
>> DebbugsWebUI proposal[1]. If both projects pass, there could be an
>> interesting collaboration between those two projects to provide a clean
>> read/write API for Debbugs, possibly more SOAP-like than the current
>> mail-only interface. Or stick with the mail transport, that's up to
debate.

> Nevertheless I agree that working towards a SOAP read/write API would
> be a wonderful goal. Having it we can possibly also re-target various
> features of the bts command line front-end to relax the requirement of
> a working MTA. Still, it would be better to delegate the API design to
> a more central place, like the debbugs maintainer.

If this SOAP interface is going to be used by DebbugsWebUI, then it
becomes a prerequisite. Will the Debbugs maintainer mentor a GSoC
project to design/implement this SOAP interface ? I'm not sure.

What does the existing DebbugsWebUI codebase use to communicate with
Debbugs ? If it's a mail interface, can the codebase be easily
retargeted to a SOAP interface ? Can the rest of the development be
finished and the migration to SOAP done afterwards ?

In addition to DebbugsWebUI, tools like reportbug would benefit from
this SOAP interface I think. Maybe we'll get a reportbug-ng-ng :)

Cheers

Arthur

--
Obey Arthur Liu