[Soc-coordination] Google Summer of Code 2009 - we're in!

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Thu Mar 19 21:54:00 UTC 2009

We're happy to announce that Debian has been accepted again as one of
the mentoring organizations for this year's Google Summer of Code[1].

According to the timeline[2] for this year's program, we will only
have a few days to get set up and ready. Student applications will be
accepted between the 23rd of March and 4th of April, but we're already
being contacted by students interested in working with us. That means
that if you want to get involved as a mentor or a student, you don't
have very long. We're also still actively looking for more project
ideas - what would you like somebody to work on? You don't need to be
able to mentor a project to propose it.

Both students and mentors will have to register on the new Melange
application[3]. Once you've edited your profile, you will have a
'linkid'. Always keep it at hand. We will need it to process
registrations and applications to match it with who you are.

If you'd like to mentor, you will need to 'apply to become a
mentor'[4] and click on Debian in the list of orgs. Also please add
yourself to the Debian wiki page[5] and keep in touch with us (see
below). Once you've done that, the admins will be able to approve you
so you can be added into the official Debian mentors list. Please add
any specific ideas that you may have, or if you have nothing specific
then list the areas where you think you could mentor a
student. Existing Debian developers are preferred as mentors, as that
will make things easier on some fronts (e.g. sponsored package
uploads, data setup on Debian-hosted machines).  But that's not a hard
and fast rule.

If you're a student hoping to work on Debian this summer in SoC,
please get in contact with us (see below) to talk about project ideas,
either what we already have listed or your own. It's in everybody's
interests to work on applications as much as possible before the
deadline closes to improve their chances of acceptance. Ideally we
want to encourage new blood to join in and contribute, but we'll be
happy to accept high quality applications from anybody that meets
Google's eligibility requirements.[7]

We can be contacted at:
- the debian-soc mailing list[6]
- on IRC (irc.debian.org, #debian-soc)
- on twitter (DebianGSoC) or identi.ca (debiangsoc)

Good luck to all involved; may all your code be merged in squeeze!

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/
[2] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs#timeline
[3] http://socghop.appspot.com/
[4] http://socghop.appspot.com/org/apply_mentor/google/gsoc2009