[Soc-coordination] Applying for improving Aptitude packages query utilities

sha liu sandyleo26 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 22:24:15 UTC 2009

Thanks Arthur and Daniel, I think i kind of understand "what should one
achieve in this idea" by asking you guys quesstions and try the
aptitude-gtk. This is what i figured out:
There's a search dialog(pop-up or tab, whatever) in which there're some
basic entries like "name", "version", "description", "website" etc.
And there may be a "advanced" button which trigger another dialog in which
more entries will appear like "depend", "maintainer" etc. But most
importantly, there're also some combo box entries for regular expressions
which ease the user who want to use them. And when the result comes out,
these match expression will be highlighted.

For the current(mine is 0.5.1) results display window, i think the icon
before every package are all the same(green). However, it's hard to
represent every package with their own characteristic icon, we can assign
icon based on their catagory, like admin, lib, devel etc.

And i have a very immature idea that we can add button label with "google
it" etc, if we got conflictions or broken packages or something not
desirable after we get some actions on the pending list. The format and the
content we send to google is still to be considered. however the message
generated by aptitude-gtk can be copy-and-past so even user don't click the
google button , he can paste the message around in forum and ask for help.
As time goes by(i don't think it'll be very long), people using aptitude
will use the google button to find the best solution becaue the format
of message is really standard and easy to search.

any comment is apreciated!

--
Best,
Sha Liu