[Soc-coordination] Aptitude search ranking and other improvement

Christopher Duffin christopher at duffins.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 17:50:32 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 3rd Year Computer Science student and I'm currently involved in
a number of system admin positions for open-source projects, which is
why this particular project has piqued my interest.

Aptitude is an important part of the system and can be both very
useful and very frustrating. As an extension to the current proposal
of adding a search ranking to the search results given by aptitude I
would like to propose the idea of applying a system similar to the
popularity contest currently used in Debian to help decide what is put
on the first disk.

While it is nice to see what packages are relevant to what you want to
do, it would also be fantastic to know what other people are using. ie
if I was searching for a package to achieve a particular task it is
quite likely that there will be several candidates, so it would would
great to know what other people have chosen.

I find this a particularly interesting idea so I would to hear other
peoples feed back on this proposal.

Regards

Christopher Duffin

e: christopher at duffins.co.uk