[Soc-coordination] Aptitude search ranking and other improvement

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Wed Mar 25 18:48:06 UTC 2009

Christopher Duffin a écrit :
> Hi Everyone,

Hi Christopher,

> I'm a 3rd Year Computer Science student and I'm currently involved in
> a number of system admin positions for open-source projects, which is
> why this particular project has piqued my interest.

Cool,

> Aptitude is an important part of the system and can be both very
> useful and very frustrating. As an extension to the current proposal
> of adding a search ranking to the search results given by aptitude I
> would like to propose the idea of applying a system similar to the
> popularity contest currently used in Debian to help decide what is put
> on the first disk.

What we put on the first disk is managed by a whole another team, but I
suppose you could use this data for the ranking in aptitude.

> While it is nice to see what packages are relevant to what you want to
> do, it would also be fantastic to know what other people are using. ie
> if I was searching for a package to achieve a particular task it is
> quite likely that there will be several candidates, so it would would
> great to know what other people have chosen.

Read the archives of aptitude-devel to learn about what has been
discussed about these issues. There is also some information on the
aptitude-related threads of soc-coordination.

> I find this a particularly interesting idea so I would to hear other
> peoples feed back on this proposal.

Do come on IRC to talk about it with us: #debian-soc on irc.debian.org

Cheers

Arthur

--
Obey Arthur Liu