[Soc-coordination] Proposal: Automatic selection of hardware specific packages

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Apr 4 11:32:25 UTC 2010

[Julian Andres Klode]
> Ubuntu developed a tool called 'jockey' for installing hardware
> drivers. There is an ITP for it in Bug #436722. Jockey is in my
> opinion the best place to do something like this. I CCed Martin
> Pitt, the developer of jockey (and quoted the remaining parts of the
> email in case he did not read the original one).

Yes, it was a nice tool.  I tested it for the first time a few weeks
ago.

I noticed in #436722 that Martin Pitt was positive to shared
maintenance.  What is holding you from uploading the package to
Debian?  The ITP haven't seen any progress for a long time. :)

Note that I GUI tool would be nice for the non-free stuff, but would
be a bad idea for other hardware specific packages like RAID
administration tools.  For this, I would like to integrate something
like discover-pkginstall into the hwsetup package in debian-installer,
to make sure hardware specific packages are automatically installed
when it make sense.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen