[Soc-coordination] GSoC Proposal: Building a robust BitTorrent architecture.

Sukhbir Singh singheinstein at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 12:49:58 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I am attaching a paper that I wrote sometime back on how content can be
effectively distributed in a BitTorrent network. This can perhaps be used to
build a robust BitTorrrent CDN for Debian, as mentioned on the proposal list
on the ideas page.

First, please read the paper attached.

Although I don't mention it explicitly, there is something that can be
inferred from it. Debian can perhaps provide a separate mode for parallel
downloading (explained in the paper), and use it see mainly three positive
side effects:

1. More seeders in the swarm,
2. To distribute DVDs of large sizes effectively.
3. Help minimize the flash crowd effect.

I don't think that it will fully solve all problems, but I think it can be
helpful to some extent. As far as I am aware (and I have researched
thoroughly), something like this has not been implemented by any BitTorrent
protocol implementation.

If any mentor finds this acceptable, then maybe something can be worked out.
I am of course ready to answer any questions you might be having.

Thank you,
Sukhbir Singh