[Soc-coordination] let's look for _new_ Debian contributors!

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Mar 15 10:43:53 UTC 2010

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:52:52AM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
>> Please not. Anybody eligible to get GSoC funding should be allowed in,
>> and having previously contributed to Debian already should not be at
>> this person's disadvantage. In the very contrary.
>
> Can you please elaborate on the subject?
>
> In the end, the point is what you consider to be the goal of Debian's
> participation to GSoC. My take is that the goal is attract new
> contributors, ideally having them stay around afterwards.  *If* this is
> the goal, having DDs/DMs that join the initiative as student is
> completely pointless.
>
> OTOH, if you consider the point of GSoC being financing some Debian
> development, your position becomes way more reasonable. At the same
> time, acknowledging that will open an entirely different can of worms...
>
> Anyhow, let me stress that I care more about taking a decision and
> making it known, than about my view being accepted as the actual choice.

I would not want to impose any particular strategy on us. <pathos>We
should have a lovely set of projects, and much love given both to the
mentoring and the technical work itself. The love we demonstrate shall
be what attracts more people to Debian, not some search engine's
marketing money.</pathos>

The decision should be "no decision".

Many greetings

Steffen (this year applying as mentor with two different organisations)