[Soc-coordination] let's look for _new_ Debian contributors!

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Mar 15 10:42:03 UTC 2010

On 15/03/10 at 11:16 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:52:52AM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> > Please not. Anybody eligible to get GSoC funding should be allowed in,
> > and having previously contributed to Debian already should not be at
> > this person's disadvantage. In the very contrary.
>
> Can you please elaborate on the subject?
>
> In the end, the point is what you consider to be the goal of Debian's
> participation to GSoC. My take is that the goal is attract new
> contributors, ideally having them stay around afterwards.  *If* this is
> the goal, having DDs/DMs that join the initiative as student is
> completely pointless.
>
> OTOH, if you consider the point of GSoC being financing some Debian
> development, your position becomes way more reasonable. At the same
> time, acknowledging that will open an entirely different can of worms...
>

> Anyhow, let me stress that I care more about taking a decision and
> making it known, than about my view being accepted as the actual choice.

Same here.

I think that the first problem is to determine who is allowed to take a
decision on that. GSOC admins?  But then, they could be overriden by the
project. Also, I am not sure that they want to take the risk to take a
decision without having an idea of what they perceive as the project
opinion.

I think that a good approach would be to prepare a poll with the various
alternatives, so the DDs can express their opinion and the GSOC admins
can take a decision based on that. The poll could be prepared on this
list (we don't need to agree to prepare it). It could only take a few
days if we are efficient, which leaves enough time to run the poll and
announce the result before the student application period opens (March
29th, according to
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/timeline).
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |