[Soc-coordination] Debian-installer on Debian GNU/Hurd as a GSoC project

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Fri Mar 19 00:04:05 UTC 2010

2010/3/19 Jérémie Koenig <jk at jk.fr.eu.org>:
> Hello, sorry for the cross-post (I couldn't quite decide...)
>
> I intend to apply as a GSoC student for porting debian-installer to

Welcome!

> the Hurd. I've started tinkering with busybox, as suggested on the
> ideas pages, and I will try to come up with a reasonably precise
> roadmap of the work needed in the coming weeks (I will post again on
> debian-boot and/or debian-hurd to request feedback when I do). Unless
> I'm mistaken, Samuel Thibault has already done some work and would be
> interested in mentoring such a project.
>
> I understand this is a difficult project which involves a lot of
> things, however I have used the Hurd and done some debian-installer
> work in the past. I find the design of both to be rather elegant and

I've heard Hurd to be elegant more often than debian-installer :)

> I'd be delighted to have the opportunity to work on them full-time
> this summer.
>
> One question I have is about what organization I should submit my
> application to. Both Debian and GNU have been accepted by Google as
> mentoring organizations, and I beleive Hurd will participate as a GNU
> project, as they did in the previous years. Would it be appropriate to
> apply to both? (after all, who am I to deny either of them a chance to
> accept my application :-P)

Well, with my Debian hat: please apply at Debian! We will get you to
DebConf10 in New York! (travel sponsoring not confirmed yet but well
possible). We're a great family of cool people!
As an ex-student: well, the experience will be different. GNU is a
smaller group, has a different atmosphere. It might be more closely
knit. On the other hand, Debian is great for the leverage of a large
organization with infrastructure, organization and lots of people
working on all kinds of cool things. It is true that you might spend a
loooot of time to get to know that many people.

> Of course I'd also be interested in any advice you would care to give
> me and I would be glad to answer any question you may have.

No problem. We're here for that.
You can also come along on #debian-soc on irc.debian.org

Cheers

Arthur