[Soc-coordination] Summer of Code Ideas

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Mon Feb 14 21:56:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Chris Baines <cbaines8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On yet another note, how flexible is Debian with timings? I live in the
> UK and attend Six Form full time, I am currently in Year 13, and have my
> final exams from the 15th to the 21st of June. These are crucial for my
> entrance in to university. This means that, if accepted, I will not be
> able to code full time until the end of my exams.
>
> I think however that I will be able to work around this, I am able to
> code full time after the end of my exams, and can code in my limited
> spare time before and during my exams. I see this as hopefully improving
> the way in which I approach the program as I will spend a bit more time
> researching my methodology before fully implementing it (cue Einstein
> quote [0]).
>
> I also will continue working on Debian over my summer before University,
> as hopefully it will be good preparation and be a good use of my time.

We are relatively flexible with timings. We're aware that the GSoC schedules
is not always the most convenient for everyone (as a European, I see it
first hand!). We ask you to put it clearly on your schedule, plan according
to it and communicate proactively with your mentor.
To be honest, I'm much more interested in what your journey with Debian will
be like during the next 2-5 years than what you might code during the 2-3
months of the GSoC (not that you shouldn't do a good job anyway) :)

Cheers!
Arthur