[Soc-coordination] Debian as a GSoC umbrella org?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Feb 15 22:01:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 03:53:57PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 03:35 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>
> > We could also ask for more slots to increase the chance to have
> > science-related projects selected.
>
> Can we ask? I thought we were assigned a fixed number of slots
> and had to just live with it.

As Sylvestre replied already, each org can request more slots after the
initial allocation, but they may not get them or may not get all they
ask for, as their availability mostly relies on other orgs giving back
slots they have been allocated but don't think they can usefully use.

But also note that the initial allocation would likely be higher with
med and/or science projects included.  Here is a summary from 2009 (I
couldn't find a similar document for 2010, and things may have changed
somewhat since 2009 as Carol has taken over from Leslie as the Google
person running the show) of how slots are allocated:

http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/studentallocations

So if Debian offered a wider range on projects and this resulted in more
students putting in applications to us, we'd be likely to get more slots
allocated.  Also, being more of an "umbrella org" would tend to mean more
slots too.

I'm not sure what makes most sense overall, but slot allocations
probably shouldn't be the main concern.

Cheers,
    Olly