[Soc-coordination] ESA Summer of Code in Space 2011

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Thu Jul 7 11:49:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 07:41:35AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011, Paul Wise wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes.
> >
> > Do you know of any specific packages?
>
> apt-cache shows a lot of them, keywords "orbital", "celestial", "space",
> "orbit".   And there is also octave and R, plus the numbercrunching
> libraries like ATLAS.

I saw this stuff like 1 week ago [0], but IMHO it isn't very well suited
for what we do in Debian and upstream projects should apply directly.
After all, the code is supposed to go to their repository so you need
to work directly with those upstream and stuff will flow into Debian later.

However:

> > Are you suggesting that Debian should pull out of the Google Summer of
> > Code? or that it is OK for Debian to also join the SOCSIS?
>
> Well, ESA can't be a more high-profile target [to patent trolls and
> submarine patents] than google.  If the DPL and the SPI lawyers are okay
> with it for GSOC, I suppose there is no reason to not also join the SOCSIS.

If you think in Debian we have some project that could benefit of this,
please feel free to apply and do all the organization stuff here independently
of the GSoC stuff.

Ana