[Soc-coordination] Computer clusters integration for Debian development - report 01

Rudy Godoy Guillén rudy at stone-head.org
Sat Jun 4 00:36:07 UTC 2011

Hello, this is the official project report for the Debian GSoC admins and
everyone. It's been few days since the official coding phase started. Most
of the time I've been figuring out the details regarding integration of
non-x86 images to the Eucalyptus IaaS and working on the ARM image, as
you'll learn later. I'm also in the process of starting to design the set of
tools we'll be delivering as part of the project.

The project's goal is to be a useful resource for Debian developers and
porters. I've joined some porters list in order to learn what are the things
they are struggling with and how the project can help to address them. I'll
be starting a wiki page with such topics.

Bonding period:
Bonding period has been more fruitful than I expected. As mentioned in my
they show their early interest on the project. We are coordinating
cooperation between our teams. Besides my mentor and I defined to start
working on the ARM image. Coordination went OK. We'll be having meetings
every two weeks.

Project Status:
Resuming Dominique's work I began working on the ARM image. Aurélien's
work[2] was a great resource. Currently I have a working and updated Debian
testing ARM image using the versatile kernel that can be used under
qemu-arm. I'm currently making tests and figuring out the next phase which
is "cloudify" it. Over this weekend I expect to finish on that side and then
began on the design and implementation of the tools that will be the
project's result.

Until now I haven't faced much issues, but the Eucalyptus part since the
docs are targeting x86 and amd_64 archs. However I think I can run qemu-arm
on top. I'll talk to them about the idea.

Future plans:

week 3:

- Finish tests with the ARM image.

- Design the base tool-set, thinking integration with dpkg-buildpackage and
qemubuilder[3].

week 4-8:

- Write the necessary code.

mid-term evaluation.

Other bits:

Latest days have been quite busy for me, since I'm still have to attend
class, my semester ends in five weeks. This week was quite overwhelming with
"media", my University published an
article<http://www.ucsp.edu.pe/index.php/noticias/46-notas-de-prensa/1687-alumno-ucsp-desarrollara-proyecto-para-google.html>(Spanish)
about me and the program. I'm the third student of the CS school
participating in GSoC, in the past we had Gentoo Project and KDE students.
Later, a local Cable TV program interview me on the same matter, it went
fine. I managed to talk about Debian and what we do (we get free Advertising
yay!) :) also about Google's Summer of Code program and invited students to
participate both in FLOSS projects and the program. Still don't know if they
have put it on air, I think it will be next week.

Resources:

1- http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/CreateImage

2- http://www.aurel32.net/info/debian_arm_qemu.php
3- http://wiki.debian.org/qemubuilder