[Soc-coordination] Mentor this year, student the next

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Thu Mar 3 21:47:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 12:02:48AM +0100, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le mercredi 02 mars 2011 à 16:28 -0500, Luke Faraone a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm a Debian Developer, and for work and other reasons I won't apply as
> > a student this year. I want to mentor for 2011, but I would like to
> > possibly enter as a student next year.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure this is allowed by Google. Is that okay with the GSOC
> > team at Debian?
> Since it has been decided that you can be a GSOC student as a DD, I
> don't think it is going to be a problem for next year.

We were talking this by IRC yesterday. The problem was related to
next year and *Debian* as mentoring organization not allowing him to be a
student because he was a mentor this year and this could be taken as him
having an advantage over other students.

I do not see any problem with this, or any real advantage. But I asked Luke
to send an email in case somebody else could see a negative point in this,
(please tell us) and also for having it recorded for the next year.

Ana