[Soc-coordination] Questions about participation

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Thu Mar 3 22:30:49 UTC 2011

Hi Karolina,

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Karolina Kalic <karolina at resenje.org>wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> My name is Karolina, I'm a student from Serbia, and a proud user of Debian.
> Some may know me from Debian Women list. I'm also a packager for Debian,
> pidgin-microblog is my package, and I'm preparing some new ones in recent
> time. But, I'm not a programmer, at least not yet. So, I was wondering if
> there is some way that I could participate in Google Summer of Code. I saw
> that in Google Code-in was some projects that are not strictly code related.
> I would like very much to participate in GSoC, I would like to learn to code
> to, if that is possible in such short notice. Please tell me if there is a
> chance for me, so that I don't apply if It is not possible. I would continue
> to contribute to Debian no matter what. And I'll see you at DebConf, of
> course. :)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Karolina

You're enthusiastic about Debian, know how Debian works and are eager to
learn, so you're already far ahead of many people.
We're only in March. That gives you one and a half month before we start
ranking submitted proposals. That's plenty of time to start thinking about
projects and get yourself started on a language of your choice.
My personal bias would be to start learning Python. It's easy to learn and
powerful to use and used by many Debian tools. Think about it!

Good luck. Don't let yourself be intimidated by code.

Arthur