[Soc-coordination] Some questions and a possible proposal

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Sat Mar 5 12:42:24 UTC 2011

Hi Ángel,

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 12:21:01AM +0100, Ángel Vivas wrote:
> I'm Angel and I live in a town near Cáceres, someone could probably remember
> me from Debconf9 where I was a volunteer.
> I'd like to participate in GSoC because I have a proposal. It's a personal
> needing, and I think more people could be interested on that. I'm involved
> on a lot of things, and I have some time and scheduling problems, so I have
> to organize my time as efficiently as possible. I've been researching for a
> way to do more things on less time, and I've read something about Getting
> things Done[1]. Looking for a software on Debian for KDE users, I have read
> about another proposal for kontact[2], but I don't use Kontact, Gnome users
> have Gnome things done, and other people use that method with Remember The
> milk and Thunderbird, but I think there is a gap here of a good app for
> Debian users and I want to propose a new software for manage and schedule
> time with Getting Things Done.

For what I understand your project would benefit Debian indirectly: new GTD app
ain our archive, but I don't see direct benefit to Debian that would make
this a real Debian's GSoC project.
If you were talking about a gtd app related to Debian like for organizing
and tracking Debian bugs, it would be different. (That app already exist
by the way: http://packages.debian.org/sid/debgtd)

> The problem for me, and here is where I think there could be some trouble is
> that I finished my degree on last February -this course I'm student but I'm
> not very sure what is currently my situation for GSoC- and I'm working on
> the university, in the ToS I haven't read anything about that, but I want to
> be sure.

To be sure, you should ask Google. For my experience with Spanish universities,
if you already did all the university credits to get your degree AND you did
all the paperwork to ask for your degree title, then you are NOT longer enrolled in
the University, if you did not ask for your degree title (this mean you still
could do more credits even if you already did all the needed credits), then
you are still enrolled.

Ana