[Soc-coordination] Initial Draft Application

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Mon Mar 28 00:45:19 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:54:02PM +0100, Chris wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 16:17 -0400, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Chris <cbaines8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >         Hello,

> >         I have added an initial draft of my application to the GSoC
> >         project to
> >         the wiki, this is the proposal
> >         ( http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/DeclarativeDiversions ) and
> >         this is my application
> >         ( http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/DeclarativeDiversions/ChristopherBaines ).

> >         Please tell me what you think?

> > I had a quick look at your proposal. I encourage you to further study
> > the subject and come up with precise details about how you'd go about
> > implementing the diversions. Since you already worked on dpkg code, I
> > think this is accessible to you.

> I have made some minor additions to my proposal, if any additional
> technical details are needed just ask.

> Before, for the Google Code In project, I worked on one of the perl
> scripts. However this project would require work on the main program
> written in c, I have not worked on this part before, and as such finding
> the relevant parts is more difficult.

As I just noted to another student expressing interest in this proposal
<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/soc-coordination/2011-March/000937.html>,,
most of the code related to dpkg diversions can be found in src/divertdb.c
and src/processarc.c.  A grep of the code for 'divert' and 'diversions' is
probably a good place to start looking around, in general. :-)

Your application mentions that you would be taking some time to brush up on
your programming and C before the SoC begins.  What past C programming
experience do you have?  Are you comfortable with the language?

Cheers,