[Soc-coordination] GSoC 2011 project APT/dpkg declarative diversions

Rahul Gaur rahul.nbg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:07:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi, Rahul!
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:13:50PM +0530, Rahul Gaur wrote:
> >  I am pursuing bachelors in engineering and my majors is in Computer
> > Science.I am planning to apply for GSOC 2011 would like to work with
> Debian
> > over my summer vacations.
> > I've been using open source operating system since last 2 years and ever
> > since I went open-source there was no turning back .
> > I've learned C++ and java @ school .Now here in college i'm studying C
> and
> > Python(linux platform),getting a good grip of it and I'm
> > really fascinated by the python language as well as C is evergreen
> language.
>
> > Familiar with building softwares from the source code, using svn now here
> >  I'm seeking some guidance so that I can start contributing to the
> > OpenSource community.By the time with GSoC starts , I would be done with
> my
> > university exams and so I am interested in doing some C or Python based
> > project during my summer vacations.
> > Well among the several intriguing projects listed on the ideas page of
> GsoC
> > 2011 , as  I  would like to get more informations about APT/dpkg
> declarative
> > diversions...
>
> I'm happy that you're interested in the declarative diversions proposal.  I
> think the proposal itself is self-explanatory about what we hope to
> achieve,
> but if you have any doubts, please ask.
>
> Here is some further information to help orient you:
>
> The dpkg source code can be found at git://
> git.debian.org/git/dpkg/dpkg.git.
> Use of git for patch submission to dpkg is strongly recommended (in
> particular because it's a dynamic code base, so if you try to write patches
> against a released version of dpkg you may find they're out of date before
> you begin).
>
> The dpkg code base is a mixture of C and perl.  The parts of dpkg relevant
> to this proposal are written entirely in C.  I believe src/divertdb.c and
> src/processarc.c contain the majority of the code that will need to be
> modified for declarative diversions.
>
> Useful background reading includes appendices E-G of Debian Policy
> (http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-conffiles.html ff.); as
> well
> as doc/triggers.txt within the dpkg source tree, as an example of the level
> of detail of design documentation we want for a new dpkg feature.
>
> An understanding of maintainer script invocation is also important.
>  There's
> a section in Debian Policy on that, and also this useful diagram:
>
>  http://wiki.debian.org/MaintainerScripts
>
> I trust that you're familiar with the Google SoC application process (and
> that this is how you found your way to us).  In addition to submitting an
> application directly to Google, the Debian GSoC admins tell me it's
> [...]

Hi Steve,
  Attached below is my proposal for GSoC. I would like to get your feedback.

   -

     *Name : **Rahul Gaur *
   -

   *Contact/Email*: rahul.nbg at gmail.com irc : iamaregee
   -

   *Background*: I am pursuing bachelors in engineering from CCS University
   Meerut(NCR) , India.My major is in Computer Science and this is my
   firstyear.I write almost all of my code on Linux platform and I tend to
   develop strictly for Linux platform.I have written codes in many different
   languages like basic,Java,C++,html/css/js ,Python,C.Thou C language is being
   taught to us in college as a part of engineering course.

     -

   *Project title : **Implementing declarative diversions in dpkg*
   -

   *Synopsis*: Aim of this project is to implment declarative diversions in
   dpkg so that automatically diverted to different directory in the run time
   and with successful integration this will make the manual calls to
   dpkg-divert obsolete.The new declarative syntax will be the part of
   unpacking and removal phases of the dpkg.
   -

   *Benefits to Debian: **Eleminate the errors arising from manual handling
   of dpkg-divert in dpkg.Thus creating a more efficient method of package
   management.*
   -

   *Deliverables*: A new control file which with a declarative syntax which
   will be processed by dpkg at the runtime.Documentations for using the new
   features plus transistion path for existing packages.
   -

   *Project details*: The main components of my project are :
   -

   A new control file is to be created,this will be achieved by adapting the
   current code of dpkg-divert and it will be processed to read and execute
   diversions during the unpacking and removal phase.
   -

   Making changes to code to check for changes/comparing  two packages while
   unpacking/removing or upgrading/downgrading the packages and thus initiating
   the diversion at correct stage.

   -

   *Project schedule*: I have my end semester exams in the month of may
   ,most probably I will be done it by 30th of may.So I can start working
   coding from 31st of may.
   -

   Before GsoC starts I aim to understand current diversion techniche
   “dpkg-divert” and it's uses functionality and its drawbacks.
   -

   Furthermore I would like to work with my mentor and the dpkg community
   having my configuration file outlined.
   -

   Once I begin with coding ,I will dedicate first four weeks writing code
   for new control file and declarative syntax.
   -

   Once I am done with this phase , next part will be to append codes
   elsewhere in the dpkg for safe and efficient diversion of packages at the
   correct stage.By this time I am roughly halfway through july and for the
   time of midterm evaluation period.
   -

   I would like to spend next two weeks testing dpkg with different packges
   and debugging the hacks which I have made.
   -

   I plan to keep community members updated of my work via weekly blog post.

   -

   By the first week of august I hope to complete all the documentation
   work.I would spend rest of the august pretying everything and improving
   documentations.

   -

   *Other summer plans*: Nothing specific,but I will be staying with my
   parents over the summer vacations.My parents have recently shifted to
   Guwahati,Assam .I will be in Guwahati by 10th of june,I will have an
   Internet connection and lot of free time at my disposal to concenterate on
   coding work.I prefer to spend about 10hours at an average coding per day.
   -

   *Exams and other commitments*: My university exams are starting
from 8thof may and will run upto 30
   th of may.Once I am done with the exams I hope to gain a stronger command
   over C as it is the part of my college course.
   -

   *If you are a Debian Developer*: What added value can you bring to this
   project by doing it as part of the Summer of Code rather than as part of
   your usual Debian work ?
   -

   *If you are not a Debian Developer**: Do you have plans for Debian after
   the summer ? Yes, I would eger contribute to the community.*

*Regards*
*Rahul Gaur*
irc : iamaregee2
blog : aregee.wordpress.com