[Soc-coordination] GCi, task ideas and whatnot

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Sun Oct 30 11:58:46 UTC 2011

Gergely Nagy <algernon at madhouse-project.org> writes:

> Ana Guerrero <ana at debian.org> writes:
>
>>> dpatch->quilt
>>> =============
> [...]
>
>> From experience from last year, the first thing students interested in this
>> task will want is a list with these packages. It might be a nice idea
>> providing it.
>
> I'll post a script to gather the list in a few minutes.

rbdep () {
	echo "Reverse build dependencies for $1:"
	echo "Reverse build dependencies for $1:" | sed -e "s,.,=,g"
	grep-dctrl -F Build-Depends "$1" -s Package /var/lib/apt/lists/*_Sources | sort -u | awk '{print $2}'
}

Usage: rbdep $packagename

It can be enhanced fairly easily to find orphaned or QA-maintained
packages from that list, which, I believe would be the easiest targets
from an acceptance PoV.

I'll go over the list and see if it'd be easy to split this into two
categories:

 * One to migrate N O/QA packages from dpatch to quilt
 * One to migrate N others.

The reason behind the split being that the chance of a dpatch->quilt
patch being accepted for an orphaned or QA-maintained package is much
higher, thus, it's a less risky task.

While the task could be considered completed once a patch is sent, even
if it's not accepted, that tends to leave a bad taste behind.

I have a couple of other ideas pending, will post them ASAP.