[Soc-coordination] Some more GCI task ideas

Vincent Cheng vincentc1208 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 04:01:18 UTC 2011

Hi,

Just to quickly introduce myself, I was a GCI student last year who
completed a number of tasks for Debian. Although I'm no longer
eligible to participate in GCI (I'm currently a first-year university
student), I'd be glad to help out in whatever way possible. :)

Anyways, here are a few more ideas to throw into the mix:
- Write man pages for packages that are missing one or more [1] (this
was one of last year's tasks).
- Fix RC bugs (another one of last year's tasks); this was a bit
harder last year since Debian was already in deep freeze, and close to
Squeeze's release, so none of the available RC bugs were easy to fix.
However, there's a larger variety of RC bugs available right now, some
of which could easily be fixed (e.g. certain FTBFS bugs caused by the
recent changes to dpkg).
- Convert Python packages currently using the deprecated
python-support/python-central helpers to dh_python2 [2]
- For the dpatch -> quilt idea, also ask students to add DEP-3 headers
to those patches.
- Create patches to fix packages with existing lintian errors/warnings
(and forward them to the BTS).
- Add debtags to packages which are not yet tagged. [3]

Vincent

[1] http://qa.debian.org/man-pages.html
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/Python/TransitionToDHPython2
[3] http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/todo.html