[Soc-coordination] Mentors for DEP-11 dak implementation and GUI package manager work

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu Apr 12 20:18:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

I submitted a SoC proposal[1] to implement AppStream and DEP-11[2] in
Debian as well
as fixing the package-management GUI tools and working on aptcc, the
Apt-backend for PackageKit.
I'd also work on porting the Ubuntu Software Center to PackageKit and Debian.

This will solve all issues we have with GUI package management tools
in Debian right now and it will
remove many lines of obsolete code as well as it would simplify some
things (e.g. the reboot-required messages)
We'd also have a working Software-Center in Debian and much more
metadata available for Apt to use.
The work on Software-Center could also help other distributions and
improve collaboration, as AppStream already does.

Kind regards,
    Matthias

--------
[1]: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/StudentApplications/MatthiasKlumpp