[Soc-coordination] GSoC begins - important information for students

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Sun Apr 29 12:14:03 UTC 2012

[If you are a GSOC student I have bcc'ed you, I won't do it again.
Please subscribe to the coordination mailing list [1] if you haven't yet!]

Hi everybody,

As you all should know by now, the community bonding period began, and
will last until the 20th of May, by which time, you should be familiar
with the environment you'll be working in, your mentor and the community,
and the necessary paperwork (tax forms and the like) should be on file as well.

To make things smoother, we would like to ask you to do a few small
things:

- Please, send a private email to Ana (ana at debian.org), with ways to contact
you in case we don't have news from you. At least a phone number (including all
needed prefixes for international calls!).

- If you have a blog where you are planning to publish posts about
  your project, please let us know so we can include it on Planet
  Debian. Add a hackergotchi if you have one.  Also, take a look at
  http://wiki.debian.org/PlanetDebian, especially the "What Can I Post On Planet"
  part.

- There are *two* compulsory evaluations students and mentors must file.
  If the student and mentor do not file it, Google will mark the project
  as failed and won't fund the student.  If you are a mentor who can not file
  the evaluations, please let us know in advance so an admin can file it for you.
  The dates are:
   - midterm: July 9-13, 19:00 UTC.
   - final: August 20-24, 19:00 UTC.

 - *VERY IMPORTANT* Besides the Google evaluations, students must write bi-weekly
 reports that should be sent to this mailing list[1].
 If you are planning to blog those reports, please email a copy to
 this list anyway. Do not send a link, send the text itself to the
 list so it gets archived for future years.  We haven't thought yet what happens
 if a student fails to send a report, please do not make us have to do it ;)

The calendar for the reports is the following:

      May 2012
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
       1  2  3  4  5
 6  7  8  9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19    <-- Last week of bonding period.
20 21 22 23 24 25 26    <-- Coding starts: May 21.
27 28 29 30 31

     June 2012
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
                1  2    <-- 2nd week, 1st report.
 3  4  5  6  7  8  9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16    <-- 4th week, 2nd report.
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30    <-- 6th week, 3rd report.

     July 2012
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
 8  9 10 11 12 13 14    <-- Google's mid-term evaluations, no report.
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28    <-- 5th report.
29 30 31

    August 2012
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
          1  2  3  4
 5  6  7  8  9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18    <-- 6th and last report.
19 20 21 22 23 24 25    <-- Google's Final evaluations.
26 27 28 29 30 31

Reports should be sent after the Friday of the pointed weeks with a deadline
on the following Monday. For example, the first report should be sent between
June 1st (Friday) and June 4th (Monday). About the hour, as long as it is
June 4th somewhere it will do ;)

Please, be verbose in the reports. Tell us what you did, what you tried to do,
how you failed in what you tried, and what your plans for the future are.
If you have any questions, please ask here or in IRC #debian-soc
at irc.oftc.net or mail privately the admins, we're more than happy to help!

Your neighborhood GSoC admins,
 Ana Guerrero, Sukhbir Singh, Gergely Nagy