[Soc-coordination] Call for Projects & Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2012

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Thu Feb 16 12:57:04 UTC 2012

Hi!

Debian is applying as mentoring organization to the Google Summer of
Code (GSoC) this year, as we have done previous years [0][1]. In the
next few weeks we should have the full list of possible projects ready.

This year, we're not just calling for projects and mentors, but try to
approach various teams that we think could benefit greatly from the
summer of code. We believe that Lintian, with it's ever growing requests
for new checks, the desire to have a more complete test suite, could
offer a good project or two for perl-sawwy students this year.

The benefits include (but are not limited to) recruiting helping hands
to work on Lintian, a very important part of the Debian ecosystem, which
will, in the long run, make the lives of the lintian maintainers
easier. Furthermore, this would also help Debian as a whole, and improve
the quality of our packaging (of which we're famous of) even more.

Of course, all this comes with a price: for each project, we need a good
description, that will attract students, and a mentor (or more!) who can
respond to students in a timely manner during the summer. Since this is
a hard task to accomplish, we, as admins are more than happy to help you
develop a stunning project for the summer.

Even if your time is limited, please do not feel discouraged, as every
idea counts, and mentoring is not *that* a time consuming job. Do let
us know if you have anything in mind, anything that needs doing, and
which students could work on!

In case we stirred your interest, please have a look at the proposal
template at [2], file all the details, and drop us an email at [4]. If
you'd like help, don't hesitate to contact us, either on the list at
[4], or on IRC, on #debian-soc (irc.debian.org).

[0] http://code.google.com/soc/
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects