[Soc-coordination] Call for Projects & Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2012

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Mon Feb 20 09:52:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:14:31AM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:

[...]
> Okay, so I have tried to come up with a project description for [1].
> This is what I got so far (including "inline wiki markup"):
>
> <project>
> Create Lintian reports frontend
> ===============================
>
> The static package analysis tool, Lintian, is currently being run on
> all packages in Debian.  It has a tool called "harness" to publish the
> results of its quality checks on lintian.debian.org.
>
> Currently, "harness" is an "internal" tool to generate these reports,
> but we believe it would be useful to Debian as well as its many derivatives
> to have a propper tool for generating these reports.
>
> The project will consist of two parts.  Part 1 will be to create a
> black box test suite to test the current harness tool.  Part 2 will be
> to rewrite "harness" into a proper tool.
>

>  * Confirmed Mentor: Niels Thykier
>  * How to contact the mentor:
>    * mail: niels at thykier.net,
>    * IRC nick: nthykier
>  * Co-mentors:  Any takers? :)
>  * Deliverables of the project:
>    * New automated harness test-suite
>    * New harness frontend
>  * Desirable skills:
>    * Perl and POD
>    * docbook (for the "User Manual")
>    * Templates (such Text::Template or Template::Toolkit)
>    * Black box testing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-box_testing)
>    * Input sanitation.
>    * Possibly some Make or some shell code (sh or bash).
>    * Basic gnuplot knowledge (format of data files etc.)
>  * What the student will learn:
>      You will learn methods to reduce the workload when dealing massive
>      data sets (via incremental runs).  You will learn how to do black
>      box testing on "non-trivial" black boxes.
> </project>
>
> Review welcome, co-mentor welcome, suggestions very welcome and typo
> fixes also welcome.

Quite good. Please add it in the wiki!
2 small things:
- add that the 2 parts are not supposed to take the same time.
- it is not fully clear what kind of fronted you want (web?)

Maybe the part about 'what the student will learn' part could be rewritten
a bit more attractively. However I admit I don't have a better suggestion :D

Ana