[Soc-coordination] GSoC updates and deadlines reminder

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Tue Mar 6 21:14:02 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

First of all, MANY THANKS to everybody who is offering projects and willing
to co-/mentor this year.
We are getting the projects listed earlier than in the past years, and
we are confident this will help us to attract more interested students
this year.

If you will like to mentor a project and you haven't drafted it yet, please
hurry up! Google will review the mentoring applications next week and showing
that we have a solid list of projects helps to get accepted.

We have drafted a student application template [1] that all students should
follow. If you have any special requirement (such as asking the student
applying to send you a small patch as part of their application [2]),
please add it in your project description in the projects page [3].

Once the student application deadline period is over, we'll have to select
which students will be working with us this summer; of course, this is
limited by the number of students Google will agree to fund.
The procedure from last year was allowing every mentor to select the student
they preferred from all the applications they got for their proposed projects
or not selecting any of the students if they weren't fully happy. Later,
the GSoC Debian administrators decided which projects were getting the slots
given by Google. We would like to continue following this procedure this year
too.

Finally, we would like to make public that we vouched for the LibreCAD project
to become mentoring organization in the GSoC after a request of Scott Howard,
one of the LibreCAD maintainers in Debian.

[1]: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode/StudentApplicationTemplate
[2]: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects#Provide_an_alternative_to_libstdc.2B-.2B-_with_libc.2B-.2B-  see requirement
[3]: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects