[Soc-coordination] [Aptitude-devel] GSoC project from aptitude

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 08:33:18 UTC 2012

Hi Sam

Thanks for your interest in working on aptitude during GSoC.

Personally I am only new to the project and not a Debian Member, I
think this makes me unsuitable as a mentor.

Other people on this list may step up.  In that case please consider
my comments below.

Sam Lidder <sam.lidder at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. [aptitude remove-build-dep]
> 2. [aptitude source]
>
> I'm guessing that these ideas alone aren't enough to merit them being an
> entire SoC project,

The ideas you mentioned are definitely too short for GSoC.

There are some lists [1,2,3] which, whilst somewhat out-of-date, still
contain many useful ideas.

You might consider:

1. Fix the tree code (many short-comings that need addressing) [2]
2. Use a parser generator to build the matcher parsing. [1]

which together would constitute a decent project.  Design would be a
heavy element of 1.

Regards

[1] http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/todo/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/AptitudeTodo