[Soc-coordination] Call for Projects & Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2012

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Wed Mar 7 16:20:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:18:45AM +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> xx> Not sure if it'd be a good idea or not, but we've never really managed
> > to collect and maintain a list of "easy hacks" that could be useful for
> > Google Code-In and, more generally, to ease the access path to Debian.
> >
> > We've some technical support for it
> > http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag , but we never managed to
> > encourage people to tag bugs and then to use the list of tagged bugs in
> > any useful way. (And possibly the name "gift" is not really appropriate
> > either...)
> >
> > Given that you're thinking anyhow to teams who might have GSoC-like
> > tasks, it *might* make sense to also point them to the gift thingy and
> > encourage them to tags bug accordingly.  But it could also have the
> > disadvantage of diverting attention to two conflicting initiatives: GSoC
> > planning and "easy hacks" tagging.
> >
> > I just wanted to mention this here, as a possibility, but I leave it to
> > you whether it'd be a good idea to mention both things when contacting
> > teams or not.
>
> This is a good idea, perhaps it would be worth an easy GSoC project to
> make it more visible: modify the BTS, the PTS and whatever else we can
> think of, to show gift tagged bugs more visibly. Also writing a few
> guidelines on what kind of bugs are appropriate for the tag would also
> help, something a bit more elaborate than what's on the wiki at the
> moment.

Actually, I thought a bit more about it, and it might be the case that
what we actually want is getting in touch with people who already know
how to collect "easy hacks" and bring wannabe contributors to
them. Something that fits that definition is

  http://openhatch.org/

Asheesh (DD, and OpenHatch maintainer), do you see some interest in
connecting the dots among Debian and OpenHatch? In particular, we're
discussing how to encourage people to maintain a list of "easy hacks"
(bugs in the Debian BTS exlicitly tagged as such) that will make it
easier for people to start contributing to Debian.

If there is technical work to be done, do you see any interest in a GSoC
project on the matter?

[ for context, see the sub-thread started at
  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/soc-coordination/2012-February/001146.html ]

Cheers.