[Soc-coordination] systemd-to-initscript - please review

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Thu Mar 8 12:44:49 UTC 2012

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen at err.no> writes:

> There will be some init scripts that will fit into systemd service
> files and those will impose maintenance of two different files, but
> this should be rare and usually only needed for the early boot
> services.

s/will fit/will not fit/ ?

>  * '''Desirable skills''':
>   * Experience in init scripts (writing them, patching them, ideally maintaining some)
>   * Programming knowledge (the language would probably be an
>   interpreted one, but might be at the choice of the student,
>   preferably able to run from standard Priority level [perl, python,
>   ...].)

I'd rephrase this latter one, to something like:

* Knowledge of any language available in a standard Debian base system,
  suitable for writing such a conversion tool in (typically an
  interpreted language, such as perl or python; the choice is up to the
  student).

A very minor edit, but still.

>  * '''What the student will learn:'''
>   * Internals of the Debian boot process and the various init systems;
>   * How to write code that's portable between various kernels;

Hrm, is that really all? Something a bit more attractive here wouldn't
hurt. "Internals" and "kernel" sounds very scary.

Sadly, off the top of my head, I'm unable to come up with anything
fitting. I'll let you know if anything pops in.