[Soc-coordination] project proposal: contributors portal

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Thu Mar 8 13:14:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 01:57:37PM +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack at debian.org> writes:
>
> > Requirement: familiarity with www.d.o infrastructure and with web
> >   development in general
>
> Could the bar be lowered here? I doubt there are many people out there
> with www.d.o infrastructure knowledge. But there are possibly a lot
> more, who'd be able to get familiar with it reasonably quickly,
> f.e. during the getting to know each other phase of GSoC.
>
> And then we could add that "The student will become familiar with the
> www.d.o infrastructure, <some good words about www.d.o; why being
> familiar with it is good, etc.. sadly I'm not>" - which could look much
> more appealing, no?

I'll leave this to Frances to pick it up.

But in general, I'm a big fan of the principle of "as part of your
application, please provide us a patch doing $trivial_thing". It is
part of the clang proposal by Sylvestre, and we have both shamelessly
stolen the idea from what VLC people are doing.

So, answering to yours, we might lower the bar. But if it is expected
that it is easy to get that knowledge, then IMHO we should also ask for
a trivial patch as part of the application and expect that students will
get the needed knowledge *before* applying.

Just my 0.02 EUR,
Cheers.